Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Flashback: First Official Day of Summer
This was my Saturday last weekend...
1. Woke up early. Bought donuts, juice boxes, ice and yogurts at the local grocery store. Dumped ice in cooler in back of the car and added the snacks, picked up husband from coffee shop and high-tailed it to a 9:00 Coach Pitch Little League Game. Tried to find my little Cleveland Indian who had been at a sleepover the night before. Collected her in the field parking lot from a friend's sitter. Hustled her late onto the field. Watched game, helped serve donuts.
2. Returned home and cleaned house (hid junk and paper piles), husband went under house to wire outdoor speakers.
3. Gathered gear for a swim party and the next round of baseball, so that we could rush from one event to the next.
4. Drove in circles on the way to the swim party, Google maps had failed me, yet again.
5. Arrived to have 45 minutes of adult conversation about my stress level.
6. Left fabulous party to drive John to baseball.
7. Rushed to store to buy sunscreen, a sandwich and a LARGE latte, realizing that I was VERY grumpy and hadn't had food yet that day.
8. Husband still under the house wiring...
9. Watched half of John's baseball game.
10. Drove to pick up Birk, who had stayed at the party with her BFF.
11. Took Birk to McDonald's (OMG, did I just say that?) because she was crying from exhaustion and starving and we had to get back to the game.
12. Couldn't locate Ruth, who had stayed at the party with her BFF.
13. Returned home to finish tidying, put out drinks and food for an on again, off again, on again school cocktail party.
14. Luckily pre-mixed margaritas sometime around step 3.
15. Help Birk put up a banner made of packing paper on our front step that said, "Moms and dads cum AND exit this way." We're talking 2 feet by 11 feet held in place with scotch tape and rocks.
16. Open wine, lit candles, located Ruth. Made arrangements for my parents to meet BFF's parents at Toyota dealership (complete with driving directions) to get Ruth and BFF and take all kids to Kung Fu Panda.
17. Quickly changed clothes and shoes.
18. Lit candles. Opened wine.
19. Greeted guests and finally had time to sit down and have a glass of wine. Was told I look too much like a housewife that night in my thrown together outfit. Careful, cocktails will bring out the honest in a lot of people.
20. Chatted, drank, served. Drank, chatted served. Served, drank, chatted. Listened to new speakers that husband had trolled under the house to install all day.
21. Cleaned up with husband.
22. Found three pairs of riding boots and three helmets in the garage, horse camp starts on Monday.
23. Packed partially for trip with husband to NYC.
24. Watched Army Wives-don't know why we were doing this...
25. Discussed party liability when too many cocktails are served. Hoped our guest were as sober and responsible as they claimed to be.
26. Set alarm noting that I had four hours of sleep before the alarm went off.
Summer started officially for our family on Friday. Hope summer doesn't kill me.