Monday, February 15, 2010

Accupuncture: My Personal Verdict

It hurts. Even if it helps me, that doesn't override my fear of the pain and the needle. Sorry, folks. Sorry, believers. I just can't go to something to cure myself that makes me anxious...and pay hundreds of dollars for it.

Moreover, I can't make an appointment and stare at the time and date on my calendar and dread it for weeks.

I can't tell between my anxiety and my allergies if I actually ever felt better or not. I wanted to believe, I wanted so badly for it to work. However, the reality is that allergy season ends for me and it hard to tell if the season ended or if the needles poking and pinching really worked.

What do they say? The cure is worse than the disease? Yup. I'm at that personal realization. I might change my mind in September when my allergies are in full bloom, but until then, I'm staying away from voluntary needles.




3 comments:

Terri said...

I'm with you....no to needles!!! Hope all is well with you... take care and happy Monday :)

Kim said...

Some of the needles DO HURT - those that go into sensitive "energy" areas were far from "painless." And I was so sick the next day - which the doctor warned me I might be. Even though a day or two after that I felt better than I had in ages, I could never muster up the courage to go back.

Helene said...

I did acupuncture the entire time I was doing fertility treatments and I wholeheartedly believe that it helped me.

But I can understand where you're coming from...when you're dreading it and feeling anxious, it kind of takes away from the whole purpose of acupuncture. I've had plenty of friends who tried it once and said, "Uh-uh, this is NOT for me".

I do hope you find some relief for your allergies!