Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's Not Too Late


Birk wants to be a veterinarian. Every birthday party invitation for the last 3 years has stated: No gifts, please, but you may bring a donation for the animals at the Humane Society if you'd like. Literally, she has raised over a thousand dollars for our local shelter.

She is working extra hard at math and science in her 2nd grade classroom, so that she is prepared for veterinary school. She is constantly chattering about her favorite Pet Vet chapter book series by Laurie Halse Anderson. Birk can rattle off her website in a hot second.

Last week, Birk asked me what I wanted to be when I was a little girl. I told her, in fact, that I myself had wanted to be a vet. Of course, she wanted to know what in my life had led me astray and I had no good answer.

Yesterday, I was in the kitchen doing dishes. Enter Birk:

BIRK: Mom, you know, it's never too late to realize you dream.
ME: What dream is that, honey?
BIRK: Your dream of becoming a vet of course!
ME: Well, I'm not sure...
BIRK: Mom! You are never too old to go back to school. We (meaning the kids) can help around the house more and you can realize your dream of becoming a vet.
ME: (speechless)

That's the kind of kid Birk is.


2 comments:

Helene said...

I love Birk! Can you send her my way so some of her thoughtfulness and generosity will rub off on my kids?? She is so sweet!

Deb K said...

I agree~How sweet!

Following from MBC :-)

You can find me here~

http://debshere.blogspot.com/