Sunday, February 8, 2009

Travel Compatability


The first holiday debate ended amicably years ago. We chose a civilized approach to the holidays and trade off celebrating with each side of the family each year.  It is very predictable and works very well for all concerned.

The other classic debate we have is over travel: do you fly the red eye or do you take the 6 am flight?

I get no sleep either way, so I might as well fly the red eye and have my kids at least sleep while we are making time to our destination.

I think this is much the same debate that parents have about night drives. Do you drive all night to take advantage of the peace and quiet of sleeping children? I grew up with a night driver, so I, of course like this idea.

George is a day driver. He is a speeding, maniac day driver. He has the tunnel vision of a coal miner with a headlight. He points the car in the direction of the destination and it takes a medical emergency or natural disaster to steer him off course. This includes use of the bathroom and eating.

If you need to go the bathroom, you have to make it abundantly clear that it's an emergency and you have to do it at the first twinge. If you are not direct and clear on this front, you could wind up trying to pee into a ziplock bag, and this is very tricky and mostly doesn't work. 

In my family, eating is one of the best parts of a road trip. You buy all of the secret forbidden snacks and proceed to eat them randomly and continuously for the duration of the road trip. Of course, rules dictate that the trip must be over four hours in order to buy entire bags of doritos and assorted childhood favorite candies that you no longer allow yourself to buy in public daylight.

Shorter trips beckon fast food restaurants with poutine, onion rings and double cheeseburgers with bacon. I used to buy my snacks on the road from shady gas stations, but now I have to pre-hoard.  There is no hairy eyeball to contend with from George if I pre-plan my menu.

This man believes in not eating the whole trip. You don't get the big gulp or the supersize fries, because then it warrants the aforementioned stop at the bathroom. Why would one leave their speed train and have to pass all of the semi trucks that you just got around again? You eat when you get there, even if it takes 7 hours.

Over the years, I've corrupted him a bit.  He's put me more on the straight and narrow.  The best thing about 15 years plus of marriage is that you can prepare and strategize for the arguments or roadblocks ahead of time.

I'll tell you one thing: if you try to pee one time in a ziplock bag and it doesn't work, your husband is more likely to make a genuine pitt stop in the future.





5 comments:

Rae Ann said...

We are clearly married to twins separated at birth. However, you must not be the shrill harpey that I am. I have brought my hubs over to the dark side. Where he used to always pack sandwiches so we wouldn't have to stop, I have trained him that I require hot meals and frequent stops. And while he might prefer peeing al fresco, I require facilities. He still rolls his eyes, though.

Anonymous said...

The last time we drove to Florida and back, I gained weight because of all the snacking on the road! I couldn't believe it. I ALWAYS lose weight when I travel, except for that time.

Veronica Lee said...

Hi Deb! Thanks for following my blog. I'm following yours too and looking forward to reading your posts.

Deb said...

@Rae Ann, we are like the same couple on a different plane of existence! I, too, shun the sandwich packing. Ick! Hot food is the way to go and one must have proper facilities--or one could pee on her foot.

@Blueviolet, what were those particular snacks? I found this is the first Christmas holiday that I gained weight--just like all the women's magazines at the grocery store warned me about. I'm chalking it up to turning 40...drat!

@Veronic Lee, thanks for the follow. I'm looking forward to reading your posts, too.

Lolly said...

Sounds like fun! My hubby and I are so much alike on road trips-except he has to take more potty breaks than I do! Our motto is to get there but have fun along the way. We like to stop and sight see but then we like to get there too. I love eating at different places along the way!