Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lots Of Bloodsucking, And It Wasn't Just The Twilight Series

Need I say more? Although this is just a cool moth, those skeetos were at least this big!

Due to the wet, humid weather, the mosquitos were out in numbers never seen before. Decades from now, we will tell stories to our grandkids about the summer of '09 and it's monster-sized, insatiable bloodsucking mossies.

I will never smell the odor of citronella and not think of this summer. We coated ourselves in the organic, most natural defense system that we could buy. It cost $15,99 a bottle, and somewhere in the onslaught, I was wishing for good old "Off" with all of its toxicity--and some heavy duty DEET.

Weeks later, I still look like I'm recovering from the chicken pox. It's funny that we all read the whole series of Twilight and watched season one of True Blood whilst being sucked dry in real life. You could say I'm scared for life, due to my inability to not itch myself raw.

My most vivid memory is of Paula, in her bed, target spritzing individual mosquitos.

Ever heard the term "so bad it's hilariously funny?" Two days in and that's exactly where we were...

4 comments:

AudreyO said...

Yuck!!! We just moved a few weeks ago and we got invaded by ants. My daughter woke up to one biting her face. Ug!!! Hope you're back to your normal self soon.

Suzy said...

It's sad but I think those skeetos just laugh at the organic bug stuff. Off and Deet does the job right; most unfortunately I don't want to risk using the toxic stuff anymore so organic it is. And the skeetos eat me alive. Not fair!

Deb said...

@AudreyO: Ants? Ugh is right! They sure do drive you crazy, too! I've never seen ants like I've seen them in California. Your poor daughter, that is not a good way to start any day. I think I'm part mosquito now, but I'm back in California and am virtually bug free :)

@Swoozie: I can only imagine the pioneers in Ontario with no bug spray whatsoever. YIkes! I consider myself the biggest weenie and would never have survived a Little House On The Prairie existence!

Helene said...

I hate mosquitos....seriously, hate them. The worst part about them is feeling an itch, only to look down and see the mosquito attached to you, angrily sucking your blood. Eeeewww...