Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bikini Shots on Facebook


I'm not a big facebooker.  I have an account and about 20 friends.  I have no need to write on their walls, because I see them every day.  I know this is generally not the typical use for facebook.

Yes, I know it's used to spy on old boyfriends.  Check in on the kids you once went to school with, etc., etc. It's like one big, happy family reunion.  It is an easy way to connect, but I'm just not that much of a connected kind of person.

O-k, what this really is about is all of the woman who have bikini shots as their profile photos. I know, they are all looking slim and trim--I'm happy for them.  But, what does this say when you identify yourself as a swimsuit model?  I'm not going to even recognize you in an airport or the grocery store if you actually have all of your clothes on.  I need close up head shots--my eyesight isn't that good.

There are cool shots on FB of people doing quirky, silly things, or surfing or climbing mountains.  There are shots with the husband, kids or all of the above.  How we identify ourselves or portray ourselves to the world is quite interesting.

I originally had a shot of my husband and myself.  Then I thought, what am I trying to say with this?  Is it that I'm married to a handsome guy?  Is it that I'm married in general-ha, proved some of you wrong?  What does our FB profile photo say about us?

Is this just a case of too much caffeine on a Wednesday morning?  I guess I better quit procrastinating and go clean my room.  Does anyone else think about this?

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOL! I hate those bikini shots. Or, for the young guys, the shirtless pictures. Blegh.

I use a picture of my son as my profile pic. The few times I've had my own picture up, I've used my Halloween picture. I can't deal. It's too much, the posing, the' trying too hard'. I'm sure most people aren't doing that, but the rest of 'em ruined it for me. ;-)

Terri said...

Your so funny!! I agree about facebook. I just recently did one bc my old neighbor begged me. I only keep up with her and my relatives in Fla. It isn't really for me either!!!! I would be your friend though!!! Have a great Thursday!

Jenjen @GottaLoveMom said...

Hi Deb,
I used to FB but now I just use it to bday-greet friends in FB.
My profile pic changes - sometimes just me, my arm, or my kids, or my dh and I.
I signed up 2 years ago when my daughter went away to college (smile:) ..my 17yo refuses to accept my friend invite. His reasoning - but you're not my friend, you're my mom (lol).
Have a great week!

BrnEyedGal said...

Great post....
Im an avid facebooker and I have always had very simple pics of me or my son...
I find some of them funny, and some of these poor people just want attention. :)

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

Hi Deb, thanks for stopping by! Tequila too! Yes we were defiantly separated at birth..haha
Love your post, so funny!

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Interesting thoughts! You're so right, though. You can really figure out what's important to people by looking at their Facebook avatars.

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooke said...

so you think my bikini shot says something bad about me??

j/k - you'd take one look at this rear and throw up. but i agree with you.

i do tend to post the skinniest looking headshots just incase my husbands exgirlfiends are looking...

Deb said...

@Jennifer: It's easy to try too hard, isn't it? I feel like I want to look half way decent in my profile pic. I wouldn't want to post something that says, "Hey, that girl really needs a shower." Maybe even thinking about that makes me trying too hard, hmmmmmm.....

@Tanks, Terri! It is a good way to connect with relatives, but most of my relatives are living in areas with dial up connections, so that makes facebook hard.

@Jenjen:The birthday function of facebook is a great feature, but to be totally organized, I'd need to convert a whole lotta people to be facebookers.

@BrnEyedGal: Thanks! It also helps when you know someone to understand their profile choice. I made a comment once and my friends informed me that this woman was a personal trainer, so it pays to look good on your FB page when it's your job :)

@Mommyof2girlz: Thanks! Glad you stopped by, too! Tequila is quite a bonding hobby :)

@Heather Happymaker: Thanks, I do so love that there is so much variety out there in the world--it sure does make it an interesting place.

@Brooke: I don't think bikini shots say anything bad--I suppose it's my soft and round body envy talking there :) It's like I said up top, I don't want to be the girl that "needs a shower" either. We all want to put our best face forward--now if I could just figure out photoshop... I feel like I'm walking the line of personal showmanship out there in cyberspace.

Shiloah Baker said...

Great post! I'm so with you! It's amazing how with the world of facebooking how a whole new set of pet peeves pops up. Thanks for sharing...I got a good laugh while completely agreeing. :)

Rae Ann said...

I'm right there with you! I am the world's worst FBer. I check in maybe once per week.