Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Help

This summer I read The Help, by Kathryn Stockett.

This book had me thinking about the "help" in my life.

It's funny, when I'm off on summer adventures, whenever I mention the teeniest bit that I have some "help," I am immediately awkward. I feel like I'm complaining about spam to someone on a starvation diet.

Here, in my "normal" life, help is a staple of small talk. Either the "help" is outstanding, or not doing it's job. There is always something to be said about the "help." Maybe you need more help or maybe you need to cut back on the help. Maybe the "help" is no longer helping you the way that they should.

There are the women in my circle that are wonderful at managing the "help." There are women, like me, that are almost ashamed to admit that they need "help."

No matter what, we all wish for more help. We are not always sure what kind of help we need, but I sure could use some magical help that shows up and magically knows how to help me.

All I know for sure, is the some of the help makes more than I did as a teacher. What does that say right there?

2 comments:

Helene said...

Never be ashamed to ask for help or need help!! Honestly, I think it takes a pretty strong person to realize when they need help and not be afraid to ask for it...why struggle when you don't have to?

DP said...

"The Help" is on my reading list. I've heard such great things about it...

PS. I'm following you now!
http://pregnancybaby411.blogspot.com/