Monday, December 6, 2010

Being A 3rd Grade Girl Is A Lot Like Baseball

On a rare Friday, I had the pleasure of walking to the grocery store with Birk. It was one on one time, on a cool, damp and dark night. She just turned 9, and I was getting the scoop on 3rd grade social dynamics...

MOM: What did you do on recess today at school?
BIRK: I played with Ava (her best friend). Mom, I don't know what I'd do without her. I'd probably sit in the corner all by myself doing nothing.
MOM: Why do you think that? You could always ask someone else to play.
BIRK: It's not like that mom.
MOM: What do you mean?
BIRK: Well, it's a lot like teams. Some people pick other people. Ava picks me. No one else would pick me.
MOM: Who decides who picks who?
BIRK: The people in charge.
MOM: The people in charge? Why couldn't you be a person in charge and pick who you want to play with?
BIRK: That's a lot of responsibility.
MOM: Why is that?
BIRK: Well, then you tend to get bossy when you're in charge. I don't like being bossy.

The more things change the more things stay the same. Being a girl isn't always easy.

1 comment:

Denise said...

So Cute, yet so true!! Love your blog. I am now following from the Mommy Bloggers Club. Would love for you to check us out at www.clothinglabels4u.blogspot.com

Thank you,
Denise