Tuesday, May 31, 2011

It's Not Going To Happen To Me...Remodel Denial

I'm beginning to see this project in a different light. Remember before you had kids? Remember how you thought it looked so easy? Remember how you wondered why it was so tough for these whiny, new parents?

And then, you had a baby. And then, you knew.

I heard the same rumors about remodels. How tough it was. How much fighting and stress there is. How the logistics are so difficult. How so many people just give up and buy a new house.

I'm starting to get the picture.

My house is literally upside down. I spent all yesterday packing boxes of "crap." There is no way to sweetly sidestep that, I'm packing what clearly is crap. I have no more patience for sifting through all of it and trying to make sense out of it.

When you take ALL of the stuff (or crap) out of your closets and have to look at it in daylight, it is quite an experience. Not that all of it is that atrocious, but you realize just how much stuff your closets hold.

Just like babies, remodels have a whole new reality when you are holding it in the palm of your hand. It looks easy from the outside, but come in my front door (mind the bright yellow caution tape) and take a look around. It ain't so pretty right now.

Hopefully this is all worth it. I'm convinced that the babies are worth it, but this remodel thing? Maybe we should have just bought the new house?


2 comments:

Helene said...

We met with our contractor the other day and he looked at us point blank and said, "I want you to know ahead of time this is going to be tough. We're gonna have disagreements, we may even argue...and there may be some days you wish you had never started this project but just remember that it'll be worth it in the end".

Kind of made me scared....even more than I already am. But I think he's right...just try to imagine what it'll look like when it's all done!

Deb said...

I guess for me, I don't trust myself enough to know that I'm making decisions that are truly going to make our home a better place. It just seems VERY expensive, invasive and every little decision leads to another decision, which my friend calls the "creep." We have creeped ourselves quite a far ways from where we started :)

I guess everyone lives through it one way or another. It's nice to know I'm not alone out there :) Thanks for your kind words.